Thursday, October 06, 2011

Cooking for 6

Yesterday while at the Grocery Store, a kind gentleman walked up to me, and asked me if I intended on filling both of the super sized shopping carts, that two of my girls and I were pushing J  I smiled and stated that yes indeed I will fill them both.  He was shocked!  We then chatted for awhile about grocery related things... and at one point he commented on how feeding 2 kids must be expensive.  He was shocked again when I stated that those were only half of my kids J  It was then my turn to be shocked when we realized that he and his wife spend the same amount on groceries every 2 weeks that we do! 
Wow, I guess that I never really realized how watching for sales, coupon clipping, and buying “yellow” boxed items made!!!  I mean I knew we were saving money....but feeding 6 for the same as feeding 2 ~ amazing!!!!   Praise the Lord because groceries is still one of our biggest bills each month ~ I should add as well that we have company over for meals at least once a week, so our groceries also covers the cost of feeding another family 2 or 3 times during the 2 week grocery time.

I love saving money!!
~melodiejoy~

1 comment:

Meleah said...

I've done some research and it seems like some people with only 2-4 people spend way more than some of us larger families. My mom spent $75 a week on groceries for our family of 6. They still spent the same after we were gone, but it was because they could choose to buy the name brands all the time instead of just when it went on sale. I try to do one major trip on sale day and then just have Scott pick up fresh fruit, veggies and dairy as needed. Thankfully we've been able to keep it at $400 a month. A friend of mine with 4 kids said they spend the same. It might fluctuate a bit when the new baby come, but probably not too much because we should still only have one in diapers:). It's amazing how suprised people are when you have 4 kids. I still think if it as a normal size family. 6 and up means the larger vehicle, so I haven't attained yet:). I'm glad you started blogging again. I don't seem to find much phone time these days, so it helps to keep up with people.