Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Bible Bags

Awhile ago I made a Biblebag for Sneezy.  She has been using it for months now, so please excuse any ripples ect, that have occurred because of usage.  I had intended to make a bag for each of the kids, however, other things caught my attention, and well....it didn't happen....till now.

Here's Sneezy's Biblebag.  It's made of purple&black velvety material (re-purposed from an old skirt, and top of mine), and I used plastic file-folders between the outer layers and the lining to stiffen the sides so that it would stand upright, which has worked great!  I did not use a pattern, just made it to the dimensions that I wanted to fit her items.
I monogrammed her real name on the flower, but I've blurred it out for my blog :-)  And I added a small pocket on both sides of the bag to hold pens ect...
It's big enough to fit everything she needs for Church, Sunday School, and Kids4Truth Clubs.
Finally I picked up sewing again on Saturday, a renewed inspiration from reading other blogs.  I found this tutorial for a boys messenger Biblebible bag by sweetfloweret .  I mostly followed her pattern (just changed the dimensions to ensure it fit my sons stuff)  to make Sleepy his own messenger bag.  I used some random scraps fabric for the lining, exterior and fleece, and I cut a strip from an old dress of mine for the strap.  I must say that using fleece as a lining, is brilliant!!!!
Sleepy is very happy with his new Biblebag, and it easily holds all his necessary and accumulated stuff (because 6 year old's accumulate a lot of stuff).
Then yesterday, I grabbed some more scrap fabric, and whipped Bashful up this tote style Biblebag.  Once again no pattern, just designed as I went :-)
I stitched her first initial on one side of the bag, and put a diagonal slot pouch on the other side of the bag to hold her pens and smaller stuff.
When she was a baby we called her snuggle bug so this scrap ladybug material will suit her perfectly.  All the fabric in this project was from scraps of fabric that a friend gave to me.
So now I still have to make Happy her own Biblebag. Hopefully I will get to that today (if time permits).  And I also really need a new Biblebag for myself, so that is also on my list of things to sew.  So my creative juices are working overtime, because I want 5 completely different looking bags :-)

Excitedly enjoying my sewing machines again

melodiejoy

4 comments:

Wendy Burrill said...

Hi Melodie! Your bags are lovely. I love your picture and message at the top of your blog with the coffee cup and chocolate, adorable! Did your parents name you Melodie Joy? What an absolutely beautiful name!!

Melodiejoy said...

Thanks Wendy! Yes my real name is actually Melodie Joy :-)

Meleah said...

Awesome! Scott told me today that we can buy a sewing machine and I think it's going to quickly turn into another late night activity for me:). It is fun being creative. My mind is already thinking of several different projects to make(after I finish the other 3 travel organizers). We really should try to get together some day soon. Elyssia would love to play with the girls and it would be nice to catch up. Are you going to the Homeschool Convention in Saskatoon this month?

Melodiejoy said...

Meleah
Oooh, I remember buying my first sewing machine...years ago...the first thing I made on it was maternity clothing lol..... Now I have a fancy machine (the other one went up in smoke...literally...I don’t think that Walmart brand machine was made to hold up to an insane amount of sewing) and an awesome Serger. Sewing is something I love to do; however, I don’t always have the time to :-) Have fun with a new machine!!!! I’m sure that you will do great creating pieces of art! As far as the convention, no we’re not going, but we so could get together something, message me on facebook, and we will try and work something out :-)